Today: Psalm 34.
‘I will extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.’ (Ps. 34:1)
Probably the most popular worship song of the last few years is ‘10.000 reasons’ by Matt Redman. In this song Redman says there could be as many as 10.000 reasons to bless the Lord, to give praise to God for who he is and what he has done in our lives.
In today’s beautiful Psalm David too gives reasons why he choses to praise God. Maybe not 10.000, but at least 10 very good reasons:
1.When we seek God in prayer, he answers us and delivers us from all our fears. (v. 4)
2. When we look to God in faith, we become radiant; our faces are never covered with shame. (v. 5)
3. When we call to him, the Lord hears us; he saves us out of all our troubles. (v. 6)
4. When we live in reverent awe of God, he will surround us with his loving presence . (v. 7)
5. We may really experience, taste and see, that the Lord is good to us. (v. 8)
6. When we seek him, we lack no good thing (v. 10)
7. When we are brokenhearted and crushed in spirit, God is close to us and he will save us from whatever pulls us down. (v. 18)
8. We may have many troubles, but the Lord will eventually deliver us from them all (v. 19)
9. ‘He protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.’ (v. 20). This might be a strange reason to praise God. Why would somebody’s bones be broken? The only reason this verse makes sense is that it is messianic. It points forward to what Jesus Messiah would go through. When the soldiers came and found Jesus dead they did not break his bones, so that this verse would be fulfilled (Jn. 19:33-37). Jesus death and resurrection are the highest expression of this idea: God is our deliverer. No matter what we go through, even though it is ‘through the valley of the shadow of death’ (Ps. 23:4), God will help us go trough it and come out of it victoriously.
10. The Lord will rescue us; no one who takes refuge in him will ever be condemned.
What are your 10 reasons today to praise God?
Prayer: dear Heavenly Father, you are rich in love, and slow to anger. Your name is great, and your heart is kind. For all your goodness I will keep on singing, ten thousand reasons for my heart to find! Bless the Lord, o my soul, o my soul, worship his holy name. Sing like never before, o my soul. I’ll worship Your holy name. Yes!